You'll need six kulfi moulds (from Indian stores) or use 1/2-cup dariole moulds.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 225g caster sugar
- 450g (about 1) quince, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 eggs
- 300ml thick cream
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 100g halva, crumbled
- Silver leaf*, to garnish
- 250ml (1 cup) thick yoghurt
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1 tsp rosewater
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- Place 175g of the caster sugar and 1 litre (4 cups) water in a pan over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the quince and cardamom and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove the quince, and cook the liquid until syrupy. Return quinces to syrup and set aside.
- To make ice-cream, whisk the eggs and remaining sugar until pale. Whip cream until thick. Fold cream, rosewater and halva into egg mixture and pour into a shallow dish. Freeze until frozen at the edges. Remove from the freezer and beat with an electric beater. Pour back into the container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times. (Alternatively use an ice-cream machine following manufacturer's directions.) Allow ice-cream to soften before transfering to kulfi moulds and freeze until firm.
- To make the jalebi, place the yoghurt in a bowl and gradually add 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water, whisking to combine. Sift the flour and baking powder into yoghurt mixture. Add a pinch of salt and whisk until a smooth batter. Set aside. Place sugar and 250ml (1 cup) water in a pan over low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook for 3-4 minutes until syrupy. Add the saffron and rosewater and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan, to about 5cm deep, over high heat. When it reaches 190°C (drop a small cube of bread in the oil, it should turn brown in 1-2 minutes), drizzle 1/2 tablespoon measures of the batter in a spiral into the oil and cook for 30 seconds each side until golden. Transfer to paper towel to quickly drain before dipping into quince syrup. Repeat until you have a stack of golden sweet pastries.
- Serve the ice-cream garnished with silver leaf, jalebi and quince.