Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 700g bottle (2 3/4 cups) tomato pasta sauce with basil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup risoni pasta
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 150g green beans, trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese and
- crusty Italian bread, to serve
- Combine mince, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, basil, parmesan and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on a large plate.
- Pour tomato sauce, stock and 2 cups water into a large, deep saucepan. Cover. Bring to the boil over high heat. Skim froth from surface. Add meatballs. Return to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add risoni and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add zucchini and beans. Cook for 5 minutes or until risoni and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve with crusty Italian bread.